Time


You stole my time long ago.

Thousands of words stripped from my mouth because I chose silence.

Hundreds of ideas taken from my mind.

Silence.

Missed opportunities. Again and again and again.

Silence.

Feeling of dread - years, months, weeks, days, hours in advance.

In silence I gain fluency,

And in silence I lose myself.

Just a shadow, trying to keep up, trying to hide.

I silence my time, and I silence my drive.

I silence my thoughts, oh curious thoughts.

I silence my world, as it continues to spin madly around me.

When I silence myself, I silence others.

My words are free, but my time is limited. So now I must, 28 years later, take back my time. Own my time. Embrace my time. My fuel is the ticking of the clock, tick tock, tick tock.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The world doesn't understand stuttering

A letter to 11 year old me

An open letter to America's Got Talent: It's time to normalize stuttering instead of praising the stigma